How To Hang A Kitchen Wall Cabinet
Watch the full episode:
This Old House general contractor Tom Silva helps a homeowner purchase and install a kitchen wall cabinet. (See below for a shopping list, tools, and steps.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel:
Shopping List for Hanging a Kitchen Wall Cabinet:
– Kitchen wall cabinet
– 3-inch cabinet screws, used to fasten the cabinet to the wall
Tools List for Hanging a Kitchen Wall Cabinet:
– 4-foot level, used to check for plumb and level alignment
– Stud finder
– Tape measure
– Combination bit, used to bore pilot holes
– Cabinet jack, used to support the cabinet
Steps for Hanging a Kitchen Wall Cabinet:
1. Use a 4-foot level to see if the wall is plumb.
2. Mark the locations of the wall studs, then drill a small hole at each mark to confirm the stud locations.
3. Measure from a corner of the wall to the center of each stud, then transfer those dimensions to the back of the cabinet. Be sure to take into account the overhanging face frame.
4. Drill a pilot hole through the back of the cabinet at each stud location.
5. Reach inside the cabinet and hand-thread one 3-inch cabinet screw into each pilot hole.
6. Stand a cabinet jack in place below the cabinet location, then adjust the jack to the proper height.
7. Set the cabinet on top of the jack and press it tight to the wall.
8. Check the cabinet for level, then use a the drill to drive the screws through the upper back of the cabinet and into the wall studs.
9. Drill pilot holes and screw through the bottom of the cabinet, too.
10. Set a glass panel into each door and secure it with screw-on plastic clips.
Follow This Old House and Ask This Old House: